6 Signs that You Need Your Brakes Checked
Your vehicle was built to safely and quickly transport you to your destination. Common sense dictates that if you can’t stop then you shouldn’t drive. In fact, the brake system ranks right up there with steering and engine function. You wouldn’t willingly get into a vehicle knowing that there was even a chance of brake failure. This is why it’s so surprising that the vast majority of drivers are unaware of how to properly maintain their brakes.
The good news is that the professionals at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres can quickly and efficiently assess the health of your brake systems and do what’s necessary to get you safely back on the road. Knowing when to replace or repair your brakes is important, and watching for these 6 signs can help you to catch a small problem before it turns into a major accident:
- Unusual Sounds: Any sound coming from your brakes is unusual and can indicate a need to repair or replace them as quickly as possible. A squealing or screeching sound each time that you apply pressure to the brakes can indicate worn brake pads or a more immediate issue.
- Pulling in One Direction: If your vehicle pulls strongly to the right or left every time you apply pressure to the brakes, this can indicate unevenly worn brake pads or problems with other parts of the system. Have your vehicle looked at as soon as you notice it favouring one side.
- Grinding: This is a telltale sign of brake pads that have completely worn through and means that you’re only one step away from possible failure. Don’t ever ignore grinding that happens when you stop your vehicle, or you can end up doing major damage to several vital systems.
- Vibrating Through the Pedal: Every driver with anti-lock brakes has felt their cars jerk violently when they need to come to a sudden stop. This is normal under these circumstances but feeling it vibrate during a gentle stop can indicate a problem with your rotors or even an alignment issue.
- Grabbing: When your vehicle feels like the brake is grabbing and causing an uneven stop, it can indicate a problem with the disks. Catching this early means that it can be fixed easily.
- Soft Pedal: This is one of the most terrifying symptoms of brake issues. When you push down on the pedal, it goes easily to the floor and the brakes feel laboured in their response. This indicates a possible leak and total loss of brake fluid and you’ll need to have it fixed before you can continue driving.
How to Prevent Major Issues and Prolong the Life of Your Brakes
There are several things you can do to prevent damage to your vehicle’s brakes. Developing good driving habits is a simple step that can save you money and minimize unnecessary wear and tear.
- Keep the number of people who drive the vehicle to a minimum. Different people means different driving styles, and more stress on your brakes.
- Avoid stop and go traffic. The sudden stops can quickly add up and put extra stress on your vehicle’s brake system.
- Try coasting and take your foot off the gas to slow down naturally before engaging the brake system.
Don’t Ignore Brake Problems—Have Your Vehicle Serviced Today
When in doubt, call the experts at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres. We employ trained experts who can spot, fix, and help you avoid brake problems quickly and affordably. Ignoring these issues can put your car, truck, or van out of commission and can have dangerous consequences.
Reach out to any of our conveniently located auto centres in Vancouver and surrounding cities for more information on how to maintain and replace your vehicle’s brakes. Contact us by phone or visit our website for a complete list of services and let us help you get back on the road today!
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.