7 Electrical Warning Signs to Watch for in Your Car or Truck
Your vehicle’s electrical system is one of the most complex and elusive parts of your car or truck. When it starts to malfunction, it isn’t like a flat tire or a smoking radiator. The signs can be subtle at first, and then suddenly—your vehicle fails altogether. If you have ever been driving along the scenic Sea to Sky Highway at night and experience dim or faltering headlights, then you understand the importance of keeping that electrical system in good shape. The technicians at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres want you to be safe and have compiled the following list of warning signs that indicate the need to make an appointment immediately:
- You Turn the Key—and Nothing Happens: Failing to start is one of the most common and inconvenient indicators of a problem with your vehicle’s electrical system. Turning the key and getting absolutely no reaction from the starter can indicate everything from a dead battery to a short in the system. This is one problem that can be difficult to identify because of all the possibilities.
- Your Headlights Falter or Dim: This is an issue that many people don’t notice until they actually need their headlights to be at full power. Your headlights can gradually dim, and you may not realize there is an issue until it’s too late. Sometimes, when wires are loose, or something is improperly attached, the headlights may falter or go out altogether. This can be disastrous when you are trying to navigate in the dark.
- Obvious Battery Damage: If you pop the hood to check on an entirely different system or because you suspect a dead battery—look for signs of corrosion. Your battery may appear melted, or there may be a buildup of corrosive material around the areas where the wires attach. This can indicate the need for a new battery, or a problem with the connections themselves.
- Sudden Car Failure: Few things are more terrifying than driving along and having your car become completely unresponsive. Imagine going into Alberta or Vancouver when the gas pedal just stops working. Slowing down in the middle of a highway or on a country road can be equally dangerous, especially when your flashing hazard lights don’t work. Having your vehicle maintained and serviced by our Minit-Tune technicians can catch a small problem before it turns into a dangerous situation.
- Signal Lights are Non-Responsive: Brake light, turn signals, and digital displays on the dash board may dim or stop working altogether. Having this happen in the middle of heavy traffic can result in an accident or a citation for the improper use of signals.
- One System Affects Another: If turning on your radio causes the headlights to dim or turning on the headlights stops the digital displays and clocks from working, you definitely have an issue somewhere in your electrical system. Your car or truck obviously isn’t getting enough power to all the areas that need it.
- It Smells like an Electrical Fire: A burning, acrid smell coming in from the vents can indicate a short in your electrical system and a potential fire. If you experience this, it’s a good idea to pull over immediately and call Minit-Tune for help.
The electrical system in your car or truck needs to be serviced as regularly as the rest of the vehicle. Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres has experienced technicians that can work on even the newest models. With 18 conveniently located auto centres in Vancouver and surrounding areas, help is always there when you need it. Call us or use our online contact form to make an appointment today.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.