How Important is a Vehicle’s Air Filter?
You do not put much thought into your car’s air filter until your technician tells you on your oil change appointment that it needs replacing. While it might seem like an insignificant component of your vehicle, your air filter is critical; just as the air filter in your home’s HVAC system is essential.
When you change the air filter of your car regularly, you can improve fuel economy, and even extend the life of your vehicle’s engine; thus saving you thousands of dollars over your car’s lifespan.
What Does the Air Filter Do for Your Vehicle?
Your air filter takes air from outside and cleans it. That means it holds onto the dust, pollution, debris, and pollen in the air, and prevents it from entering your vehicle’s engine. It is necessary to provide your car with clean air to run properly. Once clogged, your engine does not get adequate airflow, which forces components of your engine to overwork, and eventually, the engine wears out.
Changing your vehicle’s air filter at regular intervals helps protect your engine, giving it a longer lifespan. Furthermore, you may notice that your acceleration improves when your engine gets adequate airflow. When acceleration improves, and your engine stops working over time, your fuel economy boosts up to what the vehicle is supposed to provide.
Is It Time for an Air Filter Change?
It is not always apparent that your vehicle could use an air filter replacement, but your car does give you some signs. If you notice any of the following, bring your vehicle in for auto repair in Kelowna and surrounding cities at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres.
- Decreased Fuel Economy – While you might not track the exact mileage your vehicle is giving you, you know how often you fill up your vehicle each week. When the time between fill-ups reduces, it could be a sign your filter is clogged.
- Spark Plug Issues – Spark plugs may give your car a rough idling sound, or you might notice your vehicle is difficult to start up. This is typically your car’s way of telling you that it is not getting an adequate balance of air.
- Visibly Dirty Filter – If you look at your car’s filter, you can tell how saturated it is with dirt, debris, and grease. If it is apparently dirty to the naked eye, you should replace it without further delay.
- Acceleration Issues – Does your car seem sluggish as it tries to accelerate to full speed on the highway? From a stop light to moving, do you notice that your vehicle does not accelerate as quickly as it once did? If so, you most likely have a clogged air filter that is decreasing your vehicle’s performance.
- Service Light – Modern vehicles will automatically trigger the “service engine” light when the air filter becomes too clogged. Other times, deposits inside the engine itself turn on the light. Regardless, if you have a service light on the dashboard, bring in your car for a quick inspection.
Improve Performance by Bringing in Your Vehicle to Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres
If you have noticed decreased fuel economy, reduced acceleration, or noises coming from the engine, now is the time to bring in your car for auto repairs in Vancouver and the surrounding cities. The technicians at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres can inspect your vehicle, diagnose any issues, and perform efficient repairs so you can get back on the road.
Schedule an appointment at one of our auto repair shops near you to replace your air filter. To learn more about our services, contact a centre in your area.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.