Protecting Your Car from Criminals
Car thieves are everywhere, and no one is immune to the criminal element. Unfortunately, many of them value your car just as much as you do. Finding out your vehicle has been targeted and stolen can be one of the most devastating realizations.
Although difficult to predict, the best way to prevent car theft or vandalism is to take the right precautions. Making it difficult for the criminals can be enough of a deterrent to stop them from following through with theft. Even if it’s not, at least you know you slowed them down and done everything you could have to protect you, your belongings and your vehicle.
The Most Targeted Vehicles in Canada
If you own one of these vehicles, you’re at a greater risk of theft than others:
- 2015 Lexus GX460 SUV
- Ford F-350 4WD Pickup
- 2016 Toyota 4Runner SUV
- Any of the newer Jeep models
An article by Derek Mcnaughton released by Driving.ca lists a few other “at risk” vehicles grouped by region and popularity. Fortunately, there are some things you can do to protect your car or truck from theft.
Our experts at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres have compiled a list of some of the best ways to deter or to outsmart car thieves:
- Storing your vehicle in a locked garage can make it less visible and create an extra layer of protection against theft.
- Make sure that your vehicle is locked at all times.
- Roll up windows and minimize entry points.
- Store keys outside of the vehicle; don’t make it easy!
- If you have a broken window or windshield, have this fixed immediately.
- Store your title paperwork in a separate location. The last thing a thief needs is a way to pass your vehicle off as their own.
- Never leave your vehicle idling while running quick errands.
- Install an anti-theft device.
- Try not to drive through areas that you know have higher rates of criminal activity, especially at times when there is not likely to be much pedestrian and vehicular traffic to deter thieves.
Call us Today for all Your Automotive Repairs & Needs
We at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres want the best for our customers and that starts with expert advice and quality service! For more information on avoiding auto theft or for any auto repair needs in Vancouver and surrounding areas, contact us online or at one of our 18 convenient locations.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.