Tell-Tale Signs that Your Vehicle Battery May Be Dying
Issues under the hood of your car aren’t always easy to detect, especially if you don’t have a lot of knowledge about how vehicles run. The experts at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres can provide guidance, advice and a wide variety of vehicle services to ensure your vehicle is running right. Let the professional mechanics take care of your vehicle with services at our 18 convenient locations. From BC to Alberta, we have been offering Canadians reliable vehicle services for 40+ years.
Concerned that your battery is getting to the end of its life? Let us perform a thorough inspection and determine the best solution, or look for the following signs that it may be time for a replacement.
Be Aware of these Signs that Your Vehicle’s Battery is Failing
Watch out for these signs to determine whether it is time to pay a visit to the Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres location closest to you for a battery service:
- Electrical issues: Your battery provides power for your engine and your electrical systems. If you notice your electrical systems are running with low power, sporadically, or not at all, it may be a battery-related issue. Everything from power windows, power seats, dashboard lights, headlights, and the radio run on your battery. Don’t ignore issues which may be an early sign of battery trouble.
- Slow engine cranking: Your battery gets the engine going, so if you notice the engine cranking more slowly than usual, it is often a sign of battery failure. Picking up on this sign will save you from getting stuck somewhere inconvenient with an engine that just won’t start. Get a battery test done and have it replaced as soon as possible if you notice this symptom.
- Warning light: If your vehicle’s handy dashboard warning light kicks in, it is time to get your battery serviced. The battery warning light is usually shaped like a battery and only illuminates if there is an internal issue. The alternator is often to blame, but you can only be sure by bringing in your vehicle for a careful, thorough electrical system inspection.
- Age: Most car batteries will last for four to five years. Once you have had a battery for four years, getting it tested by a professional will enable you to get it replaced before you face an untimely failure. Extreme temperatures, deep discharges and the amount of full charge cycles will impact how long your battery lasts. Use the four year timeline as a guideline, not gospel.
- Strange odour: Notice a weird smell emanating from under your hood? If your vehicle’s battery has been frozen, shorted internally or has been overcharged, it may become smelly. The odour is usually described as rotten eggs, and can be very unpleasant. Don’t let the scent linger. The battery may emit sulfuric acid, which can damage other parts of your vehicle and lead to more expensive and difficult repairs as compared to a timely and straightforward battery replacement.
Get your battery tested or replaced at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres. Our trained technicians offer fast and friendly battery services. Visit the location nearest you today to find out more or schedule an appointment online for auto repairs in Vancouver and surrounding cities.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.