The Importance of a Well-Maintained Exhaust System
The exhaust system in your vehicle is a critical component. While it is seen at the opposite end of your engine, the exhaust is what handles the waste from your engine, and can also affect the performance of your car.
Maintaining your vehicle’s exhaust system is essential. Not only can you consume more fuel with a failing exhaust system, but you could be inhaling harmful toxins that would normally be expelled by the exhaust too.
The Role of the Exhaust: Why Does It Matter?
Your car’s exhaust takes engine waste products and sends them into the air. This prevents the waste from polluting the cabin air. Also, the exhaust helps your engine capability. When your vehicle’s exhaust is dirty, the engine is not efficient, you consume more fuel, and you may notice a decline in horsepower too.
The Benefits of a Properly Maintained Exhaust
Rust and corrosion are the primary enemies of your car’s exhaust. Moisture is the biggest contributor to rust, and the combustion of your vehicle creates moisture on its own. The more exposure to moisture you have, such as those wet winters of British Columbia, the higher your vehicle is at risk for corrosion.
Avoiding rust and keeping the system clean offers you numerous benefits, including:
- Proper Control of Harmful Gases: Your car emits multiple types of toxic gases. Just some of those emitted through the exhaust are carbon dioxide, hydrocarbon, sulfur dioxide, and lead.
- Maintaining the Catalytic Converter: Your car’s exhaust and catalytic converter work as a super team for the environment. The catalytic converter takes these harmful gases and transforms them into a harmless version so that they are safely emitted into the air. When your catalytic converter starts to fail, the gases are no longer expelled efficiently.
- Quieter Operation: Your car’s exhaust is what helps you enjoy a smooth engine and trip. The exhaust deadens the sound made from internal combustion in the engine.
- Reduced Temperatures: If you have ever accidentally bumped the exhaust pipe with bare skin, you are more than aware of how hot it can be. While hot to the touch, the pipe could get much hotter when it is dirty or clogged.
- Fewer Repairs and Costs: Auto repairs in Vancouver and its surrounding cities often include the exhaust system or catalytic converter, because the vehicle’s owner did not maintain the system. These are some of the costlier repairs you could perform on your car too.
Bring in Your Vehicle for Auto Repairs in Vancouver and Its Surrounding Cities
Whether you have a failed exhaust system , or you feel it is time for an exhaust maintenance appointment, let the technicians at Minit-Tune & Auto Brake Centres help. We have over 18 locations throughout Vancouver, British Columbia, and Alberta to serve you.
Book an appointment by finding a location near you or contact us online with your questions regarding auto repair in Vancouver and its surrounding cities.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.