The importance of having quality brake service
Your car’s braking system consists of various mechanical parts. If one of those parts fails, it could jeopardize your safety on the road. Here’s why investing in quality brake service is essential for safe driving.
Parts of your braking system
Your braking system is a complex network of parts that work together to stop your vehicle. Here are the essential elements of your brake system:
- Brake Master cylinder
- Anti-lock Braking System module
- Brake lines
- Brake hoses
- Brake pads
- Brake rotors
Every time you push down on the brake pedal, you create heat and friction, which slowly wears away at the various components.
Inspecting your brake system
Brake systems may be complex, but they’re relatively easy to maintain. Here are some things you can do to ensure your brake system is operating safely.
1. Inspect your brake pads and rotors. The pads and rotors are the main points of contact when you stop. They’re subject to the most heat and friction every time your drive. Consequently, it’s essential to check the depth of your brake pads regularly.
2. Flush your brake fluid. The brake fluid is what transfers power from your brake pedal to the callipers, pads and rotors to stop your car. You should flush your brake fluid every 2 years or 24,000 kilometres or if the liquid looks dark, milky or cloudy.
3. Replace worn or broken parts. Don’t wait for your brakes to fail to replace worn pads or rotors. It’s a good idea to upgrade to hybrid brake pads because they create less dust, conduct less heat and are quieter than other types of brake pads.
Signs your brakes need servicing
It’s a good idea to have your brakes checked at least once a year. However, if you notice any of the following signs, you should have them serviced immediately:
- You hear unusual sounds or grinding when braking
- You need to press down harder on the brake pedal than normal
- Your vehicle pulls in one direction when you apply the brakes
- You feel vibrating through the brake pedal
- The brakes catch or grab when in use
Preventing brake problems
You can prevent problems and extend the life of your brake system by changing the way you drive. For example:
- Don’t overload your vehicle
- Avoid late, heavy or unnecessary braking
- Avoid driving in wet, slushy conditions, especially if roads are covered in de-icing sand and salt.
Quality brake service in Vancouver and the surrounding area
At Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres, our mechanics will check your brake system during your next oil and filter change. We provide our customers with a limited lifetime defect warranty on brake pads and brake shoes for as long as you own the vehicle. Contact us to schedule a brake service and use our discount coupons for brake pad replacements and a brake fluid flush.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.