Tips for Taking Care of Your Vehicle with Coolant and Antifreeze
One of the most important seasonal components of your vehicle is the coolant or antifreeze. While these fluids are crucial all year long, they are particularly important during the winter months. With a little care and consideration, you can keep your engine from corroding and keep things running smoothly, no matter the temperature outside.
It is not always obvious how these fluids should be chosen and properly maintained in your vehicle, so the team from Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres have put together a list of tips and techniques below. If you need seasonal tire services, routine maintenance for your vehicle, or other auto repairs in Vancouver and surrounding cities, contact our experienced auto mechanics.
Tips to Get the Most from Your Coolant and Antifreeze
Use these helpful tips and reach out to the experts at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres for more advice about your cooling system and preparing your vehicle for winter:
- Water Ratio: You should mix antifreeze with water to work correctly. During the winter, the combination is usually most effective at 60% antifreeze and 40% water. If the climate gets to extreme cold temperatures, consider a 70% antifreeze to 30% water mix.
- Invest in the Right Products: Some people will tell you that just water is enough. Water can work as a short-term solution but antifreeze is what your engine needs, especially during the winter season. Water can offer some lubrication but will not prevent overheating, corrosion, or freezing like specialized fluids.
- Choose Wisely: There are different types of antifreeze products available. They require different levels of attention and excel in different categories. Work with your vehicle manufacturer or ask our technicians if you have questions about which product is right for your vehicle.
- Inorganic Acid Technology: This type is bright green and should be replaced after 45,000 kilometers. This variety will do a great job of protecting your engine.
- Organic Acid Technology: This kind comes in orange and green liquids, among other colours. It has a much longer lifespan, and does not need to be replaced until 240,000 kilometers have been driven.
- Hybrid Organic Acid Technology: This kind of antifreeze can also hold up for up to 240,000 kilometers and comes in a range of bright colours.
- Keep it Safe: Ethylene glycol is the key ingredient in many antifreeze products. While it is extremely effective at keeping your vehicle in good condition, it is also sweet tasting, brightly coloured, and highly toxic. Buy propylene glycol for a less toxic alternative and always be sure to store these products out of reach of children and pets.
Schedule Your Winter Vehicle Maintenance Today at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres
Prepare your vehicle for the colder temperatures and improve driving performance with the right fluids and maintenance. Ask your auto mechanic in Vancouver and surrounding cities to check current levels and provide more tips about how you can manage antifreeze and coolant levels and care for your vehicle during the harsh winter months.
Get your cooling system tested or book a full tune-up before the winter weather hits. Contact one of Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres 18 convenient locations near you or schedule an appointment online and we will contact you shortly.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.