Tune Up Your Vehicle for Spring Driving in B.C.
After months of cold, harsh Canadian winters, you are ready to stow away your warm jackets and boots and bring out your favourite spring and summer clothes. Just like your wardrobe gets a makeover from one season to another, your vehicle too needs an overhaul to be spring and summer ready.
Long days of frigid temperatures along with ice, hail, sleet, and road salt often causes premature wear and tear, taking a toll on your vehicle. To optimize your vehicle’s performance and safety, schedule a timely tune up and auto repair in Vancouver and surrounding cities. Here are some tips from our professional auto repair technicians at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres for keeping your vehicle in top shape from one season to another.
Top Tips to Make Your Vehicle Ready for Spring and Summer
- Check the Undercarriage: When you are driving through rain, ice and slush, the salt, sand and other road treatment residues can cause damage to your vehicle’s undercarriage. Check for signs of corrosion or rusting and power wash the undercarriage to remove any such residue.
- Clean the Vehicle Inside Out: Apart from treating your car to a foamy exterior wash, open up the hood and remove any dried leaves or debris that has accumulated under it. Use a car wash mitt and warm, soapy water to wipe down the engine block. Clean the interiors of your vehicle, vacuum the carpets and upholstery, and wash the floor mats. Use a silicon spray for the doors and windows to keep the seals tight and dirt free.
- Check the Windshield Wipers: This accessory takes a beating during the winter. The lifespan of a wiper blade is typically 6 months. Post winter, change your windshield wiper blade to improve visibility and ensure a safe ride. Remember to check the wiper fluid pump and refill the reservoir.
- Check and Rotate the Tires: If you use separate tires for winter and summer, you will need to switch tires at the end of the season. However, if your vehicle is fitted with year-round all-weather tires, check the tire pressure and inspect the tire treads for signs of balding. Get your vehicle’s tires aligned and rotated to optimize their lifespan.
- Check the Battery and Filters: Inspect to check if there is any white corrosive buildup on the battery. Clean it with a stiff toothbrush and a mixture of baking soda and water. Get a free battery checkup at your local auto repair shop to ensure that it is holding charge adequately. Also get the air-filters checked during this appointment.
- Change the Oil and Check the Fluid Levels: Depending on the weather in the area that you live in, your vehicle oil’s viscosity may have to be managed differently for different seasons. Get an oil change done at the local auto repair shop. Check and top up all the other fluids such as the coolant, brake, and steering fluids.
Get your Vehicle in Top Gear at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres
At Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres, we offer a range of affordable services including maintenance tune ups, brakes and battery testing, and engine and transmission repairs. A one-stop-shop for all auto repairs in Vancouver and surrounding cities, you can count on us to get your vehicle in top gear.
For questions about auto repairs, or to learn more about car maintenance, contact one of our centres in your area.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.