What To Do if Your Car Overheats
A car that gets too hot is dangerous and can cause serious damage to your vehicle. Unfortunately, car engines can overheat for many reasons A cooling system leak, a seized water pump, failed thermostat, not enough coolant and other issues can all result in your vehicle getting too hot. However, there are steps you can take to prevent your car from overheating and to cool it down if it does.
Recognize the signs
It’s important to recognize if your car is starting to heat up so you can take the proper measures to cool it down. Here are some of the signs that your engine is overheating:
- Steam starts escaping from under your hood
- There’s a strange smell coming from the engine
- A warning light turns on
- The temperature gauge is in the red zone
Cool your engine
If you notice any of the above signs, take the following steps immediately:
- Crank the heat. Turn off the air conditioning (AC) as it can stress your car’s cooling system. Cranking the heat can help move heat away from your engine, allowing it to cool.
- Pull over. Don’t panic. Try to find a safe place to pull over as soon as possible.
- Turn off your engine. Turn your car off and consider calling a tow truck.
- Don’t open the hood immediately. Wait at least 15 minutes for the engine to cool before opening the hood.
- Check the coolant. If your coolant level is low, topping off your supply can help protect your engine and keep it cool until you can get your vehicle inspected.
- Restart the engine. Try to restart your engine. If it starts, check your temperature gauge. If it returns to normal, you can attempt to drive to your nearest auto repair shop. Keep a careful eye on the temperature gauge while you drive and be ready to pull over again if necessary.
- Get it inspected. Even if it seems like you’ve solved the problem, the fix may only be temporary. If you experience any issues with your engine, be sure to take your car in for an inspection. A qualified mechanic can get to the root of the problem and help prevent further issues.
There are things you can do to prevent your car from overheating. Here are a few simple tips:
- Park your car in the shade
- Get your windows tinted
- Check your coolant level frequently and add more as needed
- Take your vehicle to an automotive shop for regular tune-ups and system checks
Engine repair in British Columbia and Alberta
If your engine overheats, take it to the experts at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres. We provide engine maintenance and repairs from our 17 convenient locations in British Columbia and Alberta. Plus, we offer several auto repair discounts. Look for a coupon on our website and contact us today to schedule an appointment.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.