Why A Pre-Purchase Inspection Is Important
Before you buy a used vehicle, consider getting a pre-purchase inspection (PPI). A PPI conducted by a professional mechanic will provide you with the assurance you need that the car you’re buying is safe and reliable. Here’s what you should know about getting one and how it can help you when you’re buying a used vehicle.
What is a pre-purchase inspection?
A PPI is an inspection done before the purchase of a pre-owned vehicle. Conducted by a licensed mechanic or vehicle technician, a PPI determines the vehicle’s mechanical integrity, identifies any safety issues and pinpoints anything that could become a problem down the road. It’s especially important if the vehicle’s warranty has expired.
What does a PPI cover?
A detailed PPI should cover the following:
- Engine and mechanical systems checks
- Putting the vehicle on a lift to check for broken or rusted parts and leaks
- A test-drive so the mechanic can assess steering, brakes and more
A proper PPI will cover more than 140 points of inspection on the vehicle, including the suspension, heating and cooling, electrical system, brakes and body. You should also get a written report.
Why should I get a PPI?
There are several benefits to getting a PPI, including the following:
- Peace of mind. A PPI can verify that the vehicle you want to buy has no obvious mechanical problems and is safe to drive.
- Negotiate a better price. If a PPI identifies problems that require immediate repairs, you can ask the current owner to drop their price.
- Know when to say no. The PPI may alert you to potential future problems requiring costly repairs and you may decide the purchase is just too risky. Moreover, if the current owner doesn’t want you to get a PPI, then it’s a sign there’s something wrong.
How much does a PPI cost?
Depending on the make and model of the vehicle, a PPI can cost between $195 and $260. You can negotiate the cost into the price of the car. However, usually the buyer pays for the PPI. When you consider the thousands of dollars you’re about to pay for the vehicle, a couple of hundred bucks is a small price for peace of mind.
Pre-Purchase Inspections In British Columbia And Alberta
At Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres, our professional auto technicians will provide you with a thorough pre-purchase inspection and an honest assessment of your vehicle. We will also give you a copy of our 140-point report. Contact us today to book a PPI appointment at one of our 16 locations in British Columbia and Alberta.
Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres Address Common Issues
Here at Minit-Tune & Brake Auto Centres in British Columbia, we’re always pleased to help our customers get the most out of their cars and trucks. To that end, we’ll add a relevant blog topic from time to time to keep you up to date and getting the most out of your vehicle.